Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Viviana Vega - New Addition to theFund

Say hello to another new staff member at theFund! Viviana is a Fine Arts student at Our Lady of the Lake University and is from San Antonio.

Viviana Vega - Marketing Intern, theFund


I am a born and raised San Antonian and I am currently a student at Our Lady of the Lake University. I have been influenced by art and culture from a very young age through music, film, and visual arts.


The last arts and culture event I attended was last Sunday January 16th. I went to a local music show at a venue called the Ten Eleven. I have been involved with the underground local music scene here in San Antonio for many years, both supporting and performing.


If I could be supremely talented in one art I would have to pick visual arts, specifically photography or design. I am currently a college art student trying to engage in as many forms of visual arts as I can (painting, printmaking, drawing, animation, graphics, ceramics, etc.)


The rising number of schools who have eliminated art programs from their criteria is what drives me to work for the arts in San Antonio. I want both children and adults to be able to experience the impact that the arts truly have on our society. The arts define culture and who we are, it is important to support it within our own community.

Art can bring communities together in many ways. People come together to embrace the arts and to be a part of something beautiful within the community. For example, this past summer I worked with a group of young teens in a program called Art In Action, the students spent the entire summer collaborating, designing, and painting a mural under a bridge on 19th St. When the mural was complete, there was a ceremony and blessing that welcomed the community. Many people within the community and surrounding areas showed up to support the teens and to admire the work that beautified the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment