Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Why I Pledged


This week is pledge drive for Texas Public Radio, and I am proud to boast that I’m volunteering on the phones. Even better, I pledged my sixty bucks and became a new member.


I'm a long-time devout listener of public radio, but I only recently moved to Texas, nine months and 26 days ago. For months after moving here, I listened to NPR programs online, or I listened to my old home station KALW online. Listening to the Bay Area local news, however, made me homesick. And while the programs on National Public Radio are phenomenal connecting me to national and global communities, they’re not local. They don’t inform me about my neighborhood or the issues of San Antonio, Texas. 


Shows like The Source, Texas Matters, and the Living Green podcast help pry my fingers off the West Coast. It’s been thrilling to hear about the evolving controversy over the Alamo and the Daughters of the Republic. Listening to Mayor Julian Castro reflect over his year in office with Terry Gildea enwrapped me, inspiring civic esteem. But most importantly, I am heartened to know that smart, serious journalism exists in my new hometown, and more is coming. 


This month TPR reinvigorated its commitment to bringing us comprehensive local, regional, national and international news. They’re improving their news service by providing more original news reports throughout the day. They’ve even hired a report to focus on the regional cultural and political issues involving the U.S.-Mexico border.


When I reflect on what my family pays for Internet and cable in conjunction with how much we truly value and listen to public radio, sixty bucks is easily prioritized as manageable. And for me, becoming a member of TPR is another step to embracing San Antonio as my new home--like getting a library card and registering to vote.


(*If sixty dollars is as much to you as it is to me, you’ll be encouraged to know that you can space your pledge out in monthly payments.) 


Texas Public Radio is one of 27 affiliates of theFund. Donations to theFund help provide financial operating support to qualified arts and cultural organizations.



No comments:

Post a Comment