Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Meet our Intern, Adrienne Teeley

I was exposed to art at an early age, and I wholeheartedly believe that exposure has shaped who I am today. I am so thankful that my teachers and parents recognized the value and importance of the arts, and encouraged me to find my own means of creative expression. I don't think that that kind of encouragement should be left to chance, however. There is a good possibility I might have never been introduced to theatre or creative writing, two outlets that have enabled me to become secure and comfortable in who I am.

This is why I believe that the growth of the arts in cities such as ours is vitally important. From summer camps to free museum admission days to writing workshops, San Antonio has a wealth of resources to introduce, cultivate, and celebrate creativity. These programs have the potential to change someone's life for the better, and undeniably have the power to bring even more depth and passion to the city.

I recently graduated from Trinity University with a degree in Art History and a minor in Theatre. After thinking seriously about career plans, I began searching for nonprofits that encouraged artistic growth. When I found
theFund, with its twenty six affiliate organizations, I knew it was an organization I wanted to support. Recently, I accompanied Rod to a fundraising presentation at the Courthouse. It was so inspiring to see how committed the audience was to supporting the arts, and how special it is that theFund is kept alive by the contributions of many San Antonio residents who believe creative opportunities are worth supporting. Knowing that kind of dedication is alive and well makes me proud to be apart of such a community.

No comments:

Post a Comment