Tuesday, September 21, 2010

On Becoming a Fan of the Opera

When I was growing up, the opera was the one art discipline I did not have the chance to be exposed to. Consequently, until coming to work at theFund and having the opportunity to attend a few operas, I had not developed a taste for it. I believe that opera, like any other fine music, requires experience and time to develop an appreciation.

Opera is similar to learning a foreign language; you enter a new world. Music is one of the seven forms of human intelligence, and therefore requires development. For example, in my music classes in elementary school we learned about classical music and were expected to listen and analyze it. This assisted in my development of a love of classical music.

Friday night, I attended my third San Antonio Opera, two one acts, Suor Angelica and Pagliacci. For the first time, I was genuinely moved to tears, which is what I understand is supposed to happen. Just as any art, opera should elicit emotion. The two acts were a good mix, one demonstrating the humiliation and tragedy in the life of a man and the other the humiliation and tragedy of a woman. Sandra Lopez performed Sister Angelica in Suor Angelica and Nedda in Pagliacci. She totally captivated my focus. Besides enjoying her voice, I found her acting genuinely sincere and very compelling. Now, I am trying to convince my daughter to join me the next time I attend the opera and share in my conversion.

Have you considered aquiring an appreciation for opera? What kept me away from opera for many years was the fear of not understanding it. At the San Antonio Opera, there are English surtitles above the stage, so this is no longer a problem. I highly recommend reviewing the story line before attending a performance to enhance your enjoyment. I am looking forward to Marriage of Figaro, San Antonio Opera’s next performance; they will be back at the Lila Cockrell Theatre. Care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment